Words by Natalie Blacklock
Over the years, rock and roll has evolved to become a unique part of the Australian psyche, and let me tell you something for nothing, it’s simply next level. There’s something distinctively sexy and exciting about it that you just won’t fully understand unless you’ve been brought up on it. Bands like Grinspoon, Gyroscope and Jebediah led the way in the 1900s and 2000s but now the new guard including bands like Kingswood are cementing their place firmly at the top of their game in Australia and indeed further afield as they move to expand that ‘Aussie Rock’ sound overseas.
Fergus Linacre (Vocals)
Alex Laska (Guitar / Vocals)
Braiden Michetti (Bass / Backing Vocals)
Josh Koop (Drums / Backing Vocals)
Kingswood burst onto the scene in 2012 and following the release of three singles Yeah Go Die, Medusa and She’s My Baby, the Melbourne outfit were supporting acts including The Living End, British India and were the named Triple J Unearthed Winners for a slot at Splendour In The Grass. In 2013, Kingswood played a national tour with Grinspoon and were also fixtures on Groovin’ The Moo, Big Pineapple Music Festival, Golden Days and the final Big Day Out festival run. Since then, the band have released four full-length of albums (‘Microscopic Wars’, ‘After Hours, Close To Dawn’, ‘Juveniles’ and most recently, ‘Reveries’), undergone a number of line-up changes and have earnt themselves stacks of fans across the country and indeed the globe after supporting the likes of AC/DC and Aerosmith, and having embarked on many tours across Europe and North America.
Following the release of ‘A Kingswood Christmas’ last week, which sees the Melbourne outfit pay homage to festive music, incorporating season standards like It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas, Silent Night, Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas and Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, we’ve managed to get our hot little hands on Kingswood’s Ultimate Aussie Christmas Wish List – just in time for the festivities of Christmas to really begin. There’s no surprises here – old school gifts, new school technology, a few uniquely ‘adult’ gifts and of course a little bit of good wholesome fun for everyone!
- Cricket Set – the ball weight to bat strength ratio must be aligned, the ball must not break the bat after 4 bowls.
- Nerf – just heaps of Nerf guns; the entire range including long range sniper Nerf please!
- Remote Control Helicopters – always on our rider, but rarely delivered.
- Motorbike – an excellent one that runs properly. Failing that a voucher for a Mechanic
- Basil Hayden Bourbon – a case, my fave.
- A Frisbee that can be played with on the day and then get lost in a tree.
- An Xbox or a PlayStation 9 or whatever the latest console is. Although, I think it’s good I don’t have one, pretty sure I’d become addicted and start drinking Red Bull.
- A cat. I’ve never been a cat person but I spent some time with one recently and it was alright.
- A video message from Father John Misty wishing me a very Christmas and to go fuck myself!
- Some Brugge Strawberries. We got some from the Town Square Market and they were the best – we all flipped out!
- A gig and maybe even a tour.
- No COVID-19 (everyone’s dream, let’s be honest!)
- My Virgin Points to have value (come on, make it rain with Velocity!)
- To see pals in the (Virgin) Lounge.
- Fresh UNO deck.
Are the Kingswood fellas are going to find themselves of Santa’s Naughty or Nice List this year? I’ll let you decide!
‘A Kingswood Christmas’ is OUT NOW, just in time for it to be the soundtrack to your 2020 Christmas. Profits from the sales of ‘A Kingswood Christmas’ will be donated to Beyond Blue to raise funds for their ‘Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service’ initiative, which is offering support for those who’ve been doing it tough through the pandemic and might face hard times over the festive season.
‘A KINGSWOOD CHRISTMAS’ Track List
1. White Christmas
2. It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas
3. Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
4. O Holy Night
5. Santa Claus Is Comin’ To Town
6. The Christmas Song
7. Winter Wonderland
8. Sleigh Ride
9. I’ll Be Home For Christmas
10. Mistletoe and Holly
11. Silent Night
12. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
Thanks to Beehive PR