- Series One finale brings out the big guns: Tones And I, Guy Sebastian, Bliss n Eso, Vika & Linda, Electric Fields featuring Missy Higgins, Jessica Mauboy & John Butler, Josh Teskey & Ash Grunwald, CXLOE + more
- Tribute to Billy Thorpe and The Aztecs starring: Jimmy Barnes, Chris Cheney (The Living End), Mahalia Barnes, Ben Rodgers, Lachy Doley and Jackie Barnes
- Mondo Rock ‘From The Vault’
- Special guest co-hosts: Keith Urban, Jack Thompson & Molly Meldrum
I’m so honoured to be on this final episode of the very first series of The Sound. To have a show like this on TV that showcases Australian music is so important to our industry and the artists.’ – Guy Sebastian
‘The Sound is carving out something entirely new, and completely breathtaking’ – Junkee
It’s a wrap on Series One of The Sound!
Having shone a light on some of our country’s finest musicians and songwriters for six weeks now – from iconic chart-toppers (Nick Cave, Paul Kelly, Kylie Minogue, Midnight Oil) to triple j stars (Illy, DMA’S, Angie McMahon, Amy Shark) and arresting newcomers (BENEE, Miiesha, Dallas Woods) – each week The Sound has delivered incredible performances, proudly captured and delivered by Mushroom Vision and the ABC.
Australian music needs to be heard. For Episode Six this Sunday – our final instalment of this first series – we’ve got yet another line-up you don’t want to miss.
Joining regulars Jane Gazzo and Zan Rowe this week are three very special guest co-hosts: 4 x Grammy winner Keith Urban, who releases his 10th studio album, ‘THE SPEED OF NOW Part 1‘, on 18 September. He’s joined by acting legend Jack Thompson, while we also have a special appearance by the music man himself – Molly Meldrum.
Tune into Episode Six for performances by:
- Her breakout hit Dance Monkey hit #1 in 30 countries, and was the most streamed song globally for over four months. The Sound is thrilled to welcome Tones And I performing another of her hits, Never Seen The Rain, this week
- The only AU artist in ARIA chart history to achieve six #1 singles and two #1 albums: Guy Sebastian has sold almost four million albums to date. He performs his hit single Standing With You inside Sydney’s historic Town Hall
- Multi-Platinum, ARIA award-winners Bliss n Eso are one of the biggest local touring artists of the last decade. The trio is back with a blistering new single, the first taste of new music since 2017’s #1 ‘Off The Grid’
- Coming off the back of their first ever #1 album (‘Akilotoa | Anthology 1994-2006‘), Vika and Linda show off their amazing gospel harmonies, with a killer rendition of single There Ain’t No Grave (Gonna Hold My Body Down) – which can be heard on the duo’s album ‘Sunday (The Gospel According To Iso)’, due out 11 September
- Creating a haunting merging of living traditional culture with electronic music, multi-award winning Adelaide duo Electric Fields bring moments of breathtaking beauty and power to their cover of From Little Things, Big Things Grow, which appears on ‘Cannot Buy My Soul: The Songs of Kev Carmody 2020 Edition’. Exclusively for The Sound, they perform alongside three special guests: Missy Higgins, Jessica Mauboy and John Butler
- With their serious love for the blues, powerhouses Josh Teskey (The Teskey Brothers) and Ash Grunwald will launch their very special project with an exclusive performance this Sunday. Tune in to find out all the details!
- With 22 million+ streams worldwide, rising star CXLOE inked a deal to release her debut album via Sandlot Records (Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande). She joins us to perform the excellent 12 Steps
Get a sneak peek of The Sound Episode 6 HERE
“I wouldn’t be where I am if it weren’t for Billy Thorpe,” Jimmy Barnes once told The Guardian. This week’s ‘Tribute’ segment is a celebration of the mighty Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs, with a collaboration starring: Jimmy Barnes, Chris Cheney (The Living End), Mahalia Barnes, Ben Rodgers, Lachy Doley and Jackie Barnes.
Finally, with more hit singles in the ’80s than Cold Chisel, Australian Crawl or Men At Work, Mondo Rock did things their own way. Their first ever official live album, ‘Summer of ‘81’, is released 28 August – watch them on stage in Melbourne, 1984, live ‘From The Vault’.
Don’t miss Episode Six of The Sound, Sunday 23 August, 5.30pm on ABC.
Miss an episode? Stream Series One HERE on iview.
‘We’re pumped to be a part of The Sound and get to perform live on the top of the iconic Sydney Tower Eye in Sydney. This was a spot that we first went to to write rhymes when Bliss n Eso was in its infancy, years and years ago. To come full circle and perform the first ever music video up there years later is just amazing’ – Bliss, Bliss n Eso
‘I’m very excited to be performing on The Sound, I’ve been watching it every week so far and am a big fan. It’s just so great to have a new show that showcases our country’s diverse and amazing talent, and its format is really original. I’m honoured to be a part of it.’ – Missy Higgins
‘As live music lovers, we’re all being confronted by this moment. The Sound connects live musicians to the audience – like the new in-between – and we’re grateful and excited to share our version of this iconic song by Kev Carmody and Paul Kelly ’ – Electric Fields
‘We’re thrilled to be performing on The Sound alongside young up-and-coming Australian talent who should be nurtured and encouraged because they are fantastic!’ – Vika & Linda
‘So great to be revealing this new project with my buddy Ash on The Sound’ – Josh Teskey, The Teskey Brothers
‘Lockdown 2.0 is a dark cloud for musicians and fans but The Sound has been the much needed silver lining! It’s so great to see live music on the TV again! I never got to see Countdown, but it seems like The Sound is bringing back that excitement about live music performance on the TV!’ – Ash Grunwald
‘Beyond excited to be on The Sound. The Australian music industry has so much to offer and I’m honoured to be invited to showcase my live performance. It’s so important that we shine light on our artists, especially during such a difficult time for people in the arts.’ – CXLOE
Follow The Sound
With thanks to MUSHROOM GROUP